- Malachi Love-Robinson, 18 year old who was arrested for practicing medicine without license, has been arrested on March 1st once again. According to a report filed earlier this year, the teen has been stealing from a 86 year old woman. Love-Robinson used her checking account information to make more than $30,000 in order to pay off his debts. On March 2nd, the judge ordered the teen to be released after his attorney argued that the theft and fraud charges were related to previous investigation. Love-Robinson must stay away from the alleged victim, undergo a mental health evaluation and is banned from practicing medicine.
- Richard Ohrn, 45 year old banker from West Boca, who faked his own death on March 31st of last year, was released on March 2nd from federal custody on a $1 million bond. Ohrn admitted on staging his disappearance to escape legal issues. He was sued for allegedly stealing more than $15,000 from clients. The man rented a boat in Broward County and left it drifting in the Atlantic Ocean, smeared with blood, while he used a raft to leave the scene. Ohrn was hiding in Albany, GA., in a house rented under his nephew’s name. Meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard spent nearly $400,000 on his search.
- FIU women’s basketball coach, Marlin Chinn, was suspended after sexual misconduct with team player, Destini Feagin. According to The Miami Herald, Feagin was suspended in 4 games for rejecting Chinn’s inappropriate offers. Chinn first offered her a $600 loan and when the player accepted the money, asking in gratitude how to repay him for the favor, he said she will pay him back “in other ways.” The coach would go on and describe his sexual thoughts to the player.
- On March 19th, WPEC CBS12 and WTVX CW34 will host the 3rd Annual Health & Wellness Experience at Mizner Park Amphitheater. Guests will enjoy fitness and health cooking demonstrations, health screenings, driving simulator to demonstrate the danger of texting and driving, and more. Admission is free, the event starts at 10:00AM and ends at 4:00PM.
- The Barman’s Fund event “Drink with Purpose” is coming to Boca Raton on March 19th at Lion & Eagle Pub to raise money for The Palm Beach School for Autism. The money collected at the fundraiser will be used to purchase iPod touches for nonverbal students with Autism to teach them effective communication skills so they can communicate with their peers. Cash donations, tips, and gently used iPod touches can be donated to The Barman’s Fund as well. The event will start at 8:00AM and end at 4:00PM.
- Sports Authority announced on March 2nd, that it is filing for Chapter 11. The company is planning to close approximately 140 stores during the next 3 months. According to a letter to consumers, the Sports Authority’s CEO stated that “this should have no impact on the way customers use their Sports Authority credit card or pay their bill.” The company also doesn’t expect any impact on gift card balances or gift card use at stores or on online, at the moment. Warranty products bought at Sports Authority are still in effect for the same period of time.
- On March 1st, Boca Raton Police participated in “Buckle Up Florida’s Click It or Ticket Mobilization.” Reminding the community about the importance of wearing a seat belt.
- Presidential candidates Trump, Clinton, and Rubio visited South Florida for Super Tuesday. Trump and Clinton won big. Clinton winning in Virginia, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Massachusetts, and Georgia. Trump winning in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, and Massachusetts. Senator Marco Rubio won Minnesota.