Barry’s Buzz by Barry Epstein
– The so-called Florida Gubernatorial debate at Church of All Nations in Boca Saturday evening co-sponsored by WPEC CBS 12 was a disappointment because Alex Sink and Rick Scott were no shows.
– Bigger Downtown Boca news to be announced at 5:30 p.m. rally Thursday, Aug. 12 at the Mizner Park amphitheatre. Check out the new www.downtownboca.org website now live.
– The Feds may seize a million dollar house in Woodfield Hunt Club bought with funds from Bernie Madoff.
– Neighborhood Bar & Grill on Federal Highway in Boca, had a reopening party last week.
– The nation’s largest bookseller, Barnes & Noble, with an outlet on Glades Road in Boca, put itself up for sale, after members of its board announced that drastic action needed to be taken due to the growth of digital books and online sales, which had prompted its stock prices to fall.
– Austin based Golfsmith will be opening a super store in West Boca at Glades Road and 441.
– “barry epstein live” worldwide internet television show on www.wrpbitv.com will have as guests Friday at 10 a.m. Sun-Sentinel columnists Kingsley Guy and Robert Watson, Palm Beach Post gossip columnist Jose Lambiet, New Times ace investigative reporter Bob Norman and others. Archived shows can be seen anytime by clicking on demand barry epstein after the video starts.
– Blackjack comes to the Seminole Casino Coconut Creek starting Friday the 13th at 3 p.m.
– A world premiere romance production of The Comfort of Darkness, written by Joel Gross, is currently at Caldwell Theatre. Go to www.caldwelltheatre.com for information and tickets.
– Starting Saturday, Boca Raton resident Trip Payne will compete in the National Scrabble championships held in Dallas, Texas.
– Former president Bill Clinton will be at the Delray Community Center at 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 16 for U.S. Senate candidate Kendrick Meek.
– U.S. Bill Nelson will speak at the Morikami Museum auditorium at 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 19 as guest of the South County Community Partnership. No RSVP or ticket required.
– Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic University’s head football coach, will host “Coach’s Ladies’ Football Clinic 101.3” on Saturday, August 21 at 8 a.m. at the Tom Oxley Athletic Center, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus. Schnellenberger originally brought the “Ladies Clinic Football 101” three years ago to FAU as a way to teach female football fans the “ins and outs” of college football. Participants are provided a light breakfast and lunch, along with the opportunity to ask questions, learn about equipment necessary to play the game, go over NCAA rules, as well as the chance to meet FAU coaches and players. The cost for the day is $30 per person. Attendees also will be invited to attend the final scrimmage and FAU Fanfest at 2 p.m. To reserve tickets, e-mail Leigh Slowiak at email@example.com or Katie Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information call 561-297-1094.
– The West Boca Chamber of Commerce fourth Thursday network will be at Anthony’s Coal Fire Pizza in the Boca Grove shopping center on Powerline Road from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. on Aug. 26. Details and costs are at www.westbocachamber.com.
– FAU Football starts Sept. 11. Get tickets at www.fausports.com or call 1.866.FAU.OWLS.
– Mark your calendars: Fran Drescher headlines the Boca Raton Community Foundation Go Pink luncheon at the Boca Raton Resort & Club Oct. 28; The Chris Evert Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic, also at the Boca Raton Resort & Club Nov. 5-7.
– Movies opening this weekend include: The Expendables, Eat Pray Love, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Get Low. If you can only see one movie, make sure you see Zeitgeist. Unbelievable!! Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHiuaGJ46zo. Don’t miss it and repost!